Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I'm a Southerner, born and bred (though you'd never know it from my accent, I'm told). I like to eat 'til I'm tired out from eating, hear good storytelling 'til I can recite the stories in my sleep (Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.), watch people, look at sparkly things, listen to good bluegrass music, dream about owning a dog, tell crazy stories about my family, and organize things.

10 July 2006

katrina memorial

it's hard to believe that almost a year has passed since hurricane katrina ripped through the gulf coast.

in mid-march, my colleagues and i contributed to re-building efforts in rural mississippi. we put in fencing for some of our farmers. our efforts were so small--in comparison to the scale of damage and the amount of work that's already happened.

the resilience of the region, in general, was/is most impressive to me.

this beautiful memorial on the biloxi town green, erected by the Extreme Home Makeover crew, surprised me. it was built to honor the lives lost in the storm:


the shot's not great, but you see a beautiful wall in the middle of a lush, landscaped green park. the wall is about 9 feet tall, i think, which represents the height of the waves at their fullest, decorated with a beautiful mosaic and crowned at the end with the most eclectic curio cabinet you can imagine. all manner of items are housed within the display...dolls, cups, saucers, compasses, watches, books...many items were collected post-storm. there is a quiet sort of hush at this memorial. I don't know how else to describe it other than to say that i've experienced it before at other memorials, like the vietnam veterans' memorial. it's something sort of hovering and hushed and awe-filled.

to resilience, stick-to-itiveness (is that a word?), and the regenerative spirit of nature.

4 Comments:

Blogger sirrom said...

Nice post, Julie. I had the same sense at the Nam memorial. Seeing people trace the names of friends/loved ones was really touching.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow, thanks for posting this. I remember seeing part of the show on which they were collecting items for this memorial. Seeing the pic and reading about it gave me chills. The same thing happenend last night when I was watching a movie in which the OK City Bombing Memorial was shown.

Glad to see some new posts!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Great post and very nice sentiment on your part!!!

3:46 PM  
Blogger ashley said...

Thanks for the post. I love the wall ...

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home