Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I'm a Southerner, born and bred (though you'd never know it from my accent, I'm told). I like to eat 'til I'm tired out from eating, hear good storytelling 'til I can recite the stories in my sleep (Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.), watch people, look at sparkly things, listen to good bluegrass music, dream about owning a dog, tell crazy stories about my family, and organize things.

15 December 2006

Louise

Flashback to a conversatin that Elizabeth and I had in middle school.

It went something like this:

J: What's your middle name?
E: I'm not telling.
J: Oh come on, it can't be that bad! What does it start with?
E: I'm not telling.
J: I'll tell you mine. It's Anna. What does it start with?
E: Okay, okay. It starts with an L.
J: Linda? Lori? Lola? Lulu?
E: You're being ridiculous.
J: Lou-ISE?!?! No, no, it could not possibly be that cruel.
E: Bingo.
J: (Wild scramble to pry foot out of mouth.)

To middle names!

To all of you marrieds, if/when you legally changed your name, did you drop your given middle name for your maiden name? For example, did Jennie change from Jennifer Evelyn McClain to Jennifer McClain Beard? Or did you keep all of your names? Or do something very different? I had a long conversation about names a couple of weeks ago with some co-workers. I made the assumption that people keep their maiden names, but then I realized that I didn't know with certianty what people actually did.

6 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

The more names the merrier. In Europe some people get five names at birth! You only have to keep track of one on a daily basis.

John and I have talked about changing our last name from Smythe-Moore to Smore.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Aunt Eliz said...

This post made me laugh out loud. Is it funny that I don't remember not liking my middle name?

Offically, I kept it all too. Louise was my maternal grandmother's middle name, so I felt like picking either my maiden name or my middle name would be like chosing between my paternal grandfather's name and my maternal grandmother's name. So I kept both but just use one "L" as my middle initial.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

i'd keep all my names.
sonya crystal lee hamilton _____
i've had 4 names my entire life, so what's one more; if i am so lucky to get married. unless of course his last name was something horrendous, like massengil or pucker. i never liked that last name. never ever ever.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

My best friend's brothers and fiance were horrified that she even considered keeping her maiden name in any form. I was sad that she completely dropped it. I'd either keep mine the same or add my husband's to the end. Dropping the middle name never even occured to me until Lori mentioned it. I always loved that I got to choose my confirmation name, though it isn't legally added.
Stephanie Louise Marie

3:15 PM  
Blogger ashley said...

I offically dropped my maiden name, but they seem to add it back here.

I went to the bank to add my name to our bank account. At birth you get one given name in Egypt, so they asked for my given name and then my father's name. I told them over and over that we usually drop our father's name and pick up our husband's. They didn't understand. I tried to explain over and over. In the end our bank account is registered to Josh and me--Ashley Anne Davey Joe Stallings. I laugh every time our statement comes.

Josh got Kaylen's birth certificate last week from an office downtown. Her name according to Egypt is Kaylen Joshua William Lane. Messed up, huh? Thankfully, the US Embassy will give us a second birth certificate.

12:27 PM  
Blogger rebstar said...

i didn't consider keeping my maiden name as an option, either...i guess i should have further explored my choices! (i couldn't imagine dropping the middle name, as it is so important to me!--and i always love others', too.)

however, should we be blessed with a son someday, his name will most definitely be spencer. :)

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home