Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I'm a Southerner, born and bred (though you'd never know it from my accent, I'm told). I like to eat 'til I'm tired out from eating, hear good storytelling 'til I can recite the stories in my sleep (Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.), watch people, look at sparkly things, listen to good bluegrass music, dream about owning a dog, tell crazy stories about my family, and organize things.

29 August 2006

Snakes

I’ve had two nightmares about snakes over the past couple of nights. I fault Wendy for sending me a canned phone message from Samuel Jackson announcing the movie release of Snakes on a Plane.

I don't remember many of the details of the first dream.

What I remember from the second terrible dream was hiking in a very high place (heights = terrifying), and suddenly brightly colored, HUGE snakes started crawling agressively towards me out of the cracks of the rocks. Dana Grady suddenly appeared. I jumped on her back and she ran with me on piggyback, barefooted, up to a lodge at the top of the mountain. There were a few other drifters there that were strangers to me. Only problem was, the group I was with was catching a plane out of the area the next morning. I didn't have any provisions or clothes or bedding or anything like that. Or, more importantly, an exit strategy. So, basically, she stranded me after rescuing me. The snakes were huge and they were FAST. And they were still slithering around outside of the lodge. It was like a reversal of the reptile room at the zoo. I was trapped inside of these four walls and the snakes slithered around outside, watching me.

My hands are sweating just thinking about it.

I think I’m so terrified because I grew up around copperheads and water moccasins. Does anyone remember the time we went canoeing and a water moccasin dropped from a tree branch into the canoe? I think Alison was there. And Tim Meitzen whacked it with an oar until it was dead.

Absolutely horrific.

8 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

I got that same message and I did NOT appreciate it. All I hears was "Hey Crystal, this is Samuel L. Jackson..." and Samuel L heard the damned dial tone. He already ruined my Ellen moment, when I was getting out of the shower and he was on there showing his dog gone clip and I bout had an "Elizabeth, I'm comin' to join ya" moment. I don't like em. In any fashion. Dead, alive, on tv or in a book. I don't care if it is irrational, I am entitled! And to have one in a canoe is more than I could take.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

did i really just type "hears"
lawd!

12:39 PM  
Blogger sirrom said...

Julie. The copperheads I remember (on Tater Hill) are many, but my most poignant memory is the one coiled beneath the BBQ grill at our back door. And they don't have to be provoked -- they just have an ATTITUDE. So why someone wasn't bitten is a mystery to me. Incidentally, we have more snakes around here now that Patty and Puck have gone on to their respective rewards.

4:00 PM  
Blogger sirrom said...

Oh yes. The one Mom hovered over for a couple of hours and never did kill. She was afraid she might fall while trying to strike the thing and become easy prey.

4:02 PM  
Blogger juliebelle said...

when i talk about how terrified i am of snakes, tommy says, "...and you want to move back to arkansas to the land of poisonous snakes?!"

we don't really have poisonous snakes here in cleveland. a bonus, i can assure you.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Troy said...

Whenever I hears (sorry Crystal) that Snakes on a Plane preview on the TV I have to turn it off.

I don't remember the Meitzen boy nailing the snake, but I do remember going canoeing on the Spring at the spot where you have to walk through a tunnel to put in. There was a shed snake skin in front of the tunnel and my sister refused to go through it. The snake was LONG gone, but she was completely freaked out.

9:15 PM  
Blogger sirrom said...

Sorry for the multiple posts. I'll never forget the Spring River outing when Mom and I tipped over our canoe - shot a small rapid followed by a hard right. David fell out of the boat and completely disappeared from sight. I began desperately groping into the region where I saw him go under. Luckily I felt him and was able to bring him to the surface. I was holding onto some exposed roots of a tree. After we collected ourselves and began floating down stream, I saw several snakes sunning themselves on the roots of the trees. The whole incident still gives me the creeps. Thanks to our Merciful God that I was able to fish David out.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

our friends the Lindseys have a 3 yr old girl that was bit on the ankle 3 times by a copperhead last month. She was in the hospital for several days. They came home and the next day, found one coiled in the LIVING room! I really don't think I would ever be the same. We supposedly have a "copperhead nest" on the front of the new land. THEY can have it...I won't be hiking up there.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home