Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I'm a Southerner, born and bred (though you'd never know it from my accent, I'm told). I like to eat 'til I'm tired out from eating, hear good storytelling 'til I can recite the stories in my sleep (Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.), watch people, look at sparkly things, listen to good bluegrass music, dream about owning a dog, tell crazy stories about my family, and organize things.

28 July 2005

My Subpoena

Got a letter in the mail yesterday.

A subpoena.

Like, for court.


For my negligence in paying local income taxes.

My dad uses the phrase "soil myself" when he's being hyperbolic.

I suppose the same was true in this situation.

But I don't know how exaggerated the urge to "soil myself" is in this particular case.

Did I make a mistake on Turbo Tax?

Did I not report something I should have?

Will I go to jail?

.............................................................................................

One lost night of sleep + one workday(one sour stomach) + 3 missed phone calls to the income tax official's office at City Hall = A glitch in the system whereby....

Someone entered my date of occupancy in Cleveland Heights starting sometime in 2003.

This, the director tells me in a kind of condescending way.

Which i don't understand because....it was the data head's fault.

Not mine or Turbo's.

Somehow I felt very dumb and stupid.

And then incensed that he/"they" made me feel so dumb and stupid.

And then just weak b/c all of the adrenaline in my body went away and left me with nothing but a voided subpoena..

This experience perpetuates my fear of numbers.

And taxes.

And anything addressed to me from the City of Cleveland Heights.

6 Comments:

Blogger juliebelle said...

pretty amazing, huh?

i can't deal with it. i can't decide if i really can't do it or if i've built it up in my head.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Katie A said...

Jules,
I would have totally flipped out myself. I got a letter last year telling me that my name and SS# didn't match, so they were going to revoke my license. After a weekend and a day off of school trying to get things figured out. I thought the problem was that my middle initial, not my entire middle name was on my SS Card, but as it turns out, it was all a computer glitch.

At least in GA everything (car tags, local taxes, etc.) is due during the month of one's b-day.

1:37 PM  
Blogger sirrom said...

Juleps, I would take a different tack. Instead of being the proud owner of a voided subpoena, I'd void on the subpoena. Hope that comment will pass the language police.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

Honey, you know I feel your pain. As the son of a CPA and a banker I felt a certain need to "do it myself" for awhile when it came to taxes. I got that out of my system pretty quick though when I made a small error one year (no subpeona involved). Dad was remarkably comforting about the whole thing and fixed it for me.

You just give Mr. Jim a call. He would lay down in front of a train before letting you go to jail over a tax issue no matter who is at fault. Plus the IRS makes him VERY cranky, and he does anything he can to keep people from needlessly giving them money. Clients get the added benefit of having someone who is more than happy to join them in their annoyed tirades.

9:39 PM  
Blogger juliebelle said...

voiding on subpoenas...ha ha ha. very clever, sirrom.

10:20 PM  
Blogger juliebelle said...

don't you all worry.
rest assured that i will put my taxes in the hands of a very capable CPA come 'o5 tax season.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home