Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I'm a Southerner, born and bred (though you'd never know it from my accent, I'm told). I like to eat 'til I'm tired out from eating, hear good storytelling 'til I can recite the stories in my sleep (Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.), watch people, look at sparkly things, listen to good bluegrass music, dream about owning a dog, tell crazy stories about my family, and organize things.

23 July 2005

Me: 11-20

11. I love cotton candy. It is my all-time favorite.

12. If I had to choose, I'd say brown is my favorite color. Or possibly green.

13. I really don't care much for air conditioning. I hate being cold in the middle of summer. It's not very natural. I don't know that I'd do away with it completely, but I'd scale overall usage back quite a bit.

14. I'm obsessive about turning off the lights. I think this is a carryover from my dad. Never one to waste electricity (or money, for that matter), he always insists on turning off the light when we're not in a room. But never be caught reading in the dark! He'll turn a lamp/overhead light on so fast you don't know what hit you!

15. I can be unbearably impatient and rude if I'm in "work mode." I don't like being interrupted or told an alternate way of doing something (I'm stubborn.).

16. We used to go fishing and camping with my Nanny and Papaw every summer. For an entire glorious week, all of the grandkids would pile into their camper or tents in state parks all over Arkansas. I specifically remember turkey calling, roasted marshmallows, whittling Shield soap with Papaw's big knives, and watching The Gnomemobile in the back of the Jones's RV on their new VCR.

17. I'm pretty left wing as far as politics are concerned.

18. I like to sing. I've been told I'm pretty good at it. I think Jennie's the better singer of the two of us. She's consistent and not too flashy and has the most pure voice...I like to sneak up and listen to her when she's not looking. Anyway, I miss it. I don't have a piano here. My singing is restricted to showering only, these days.

19. I moved out on my own about 3 years ago. I just decided one day that I wanted to do it. I had shared everything for most of my life (even the womb with Jennie), and I really felt that I needed a place of my own. Financially, it wasn't my smartest move, but the freedom of doing whatever I absolutely wanted whenever I absolutely wanted was nice. I really feel like I grew up a lot as a result....

20. Which enabled me to pack up everything and move from Arkansas to Ohio 2 years ago. A big move. For work. I'm glad I did it, too. But it has been a hard move. I left all of my friends and family and started absolutely from scratch again. Made some friends here, then they moved away. Had to start all over again. I often asked myself, when feeling depressed, do I live to work or work to live? It's been a hard two years. Tommy's been my only consistent bright spot up here in grey Cleveland.

5 Comments:

Blogger juliebelle said...

yeah, tommy said i was full of it when i made that comment. what i meant was that i absolutely cannot stand it when i have to wear a sweater in the dead of summer b/c a building's AC is so low. or when grocery stores are so cold that your nose turns numb. everything in moderation, i suppose.

11:24 AM  
Blogger rebstar said...

well, i left a comment here yesterday, and now it's gone? :(

hmmphf.

it said something like:

you're so beautiful. i miss you. didn't know/remember about the camping or the cotton candy. "i've been told i'm pretty good at it"--understatement of the century. and i'm with jennie on the a/c.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Katie A said...

You do indeed have a beautiful voice, and I miss hearing it as we gather around the piano or guitar. I guess that I'm spoiled rotten because I can never hear anyone(female) sing without comparing them to you and Jennie.

3:43 PM  
Blogger juliebelle said...

oh no! rebekah i do not know what happened. i most certainly didn't erase it?! gremlins, gremlins, i say!

it's 72 degrees here. slightly breezy. i guess it affords me the opportunity to be pious about A/C.

hey, we should schedule a big sing along sometime! i'm supposed to come home in september and october for work...maybe we could all get together...i don't know if i can handle a marathon hymn sing, but maybe at least drag out teh bag'o'fun.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

I'm with Taboo and Jennie when it comes to AC, even here in not too hot Indiana. But if you come to see me, I'll put the thermostat to 76 just for you, Belle.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home