Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I'm a Southerner, born and bred (though you'd never know it from my accent, I'm told). I like to eat 'til I'm tired out from eating, hear good storytelling 'til I can recite the stories in my sleep (Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.), watch people, look at sparkly things, listen to good bluegrass music, dream about owning a dog, tell crazy stories about my family, and organize things.

22 May 2005

Readership, Meet My Pets

The picture you'll find one or two posts below (I think) is one of my ecosphere (Tommy gave it to me for Christmas this past year since I'm always bellyaching about not being able to have a pet.)

If you'll look closely, you can see three little tiny brine shrimp, Ruby, Onyx, and Pearl (really, you can just see two of them...and that's a stretch. They're no bigger than the white moon-shaped part of your thumbnail).

So my little shrimp(S) live in this totally contained ecosystem on my desk--it's a perfect pet, the ecosystem. Never have to feed or water the thing. Just sit back and enjoy it when I happen to be in town. Only maintenance required is to occasionally scrape a magnet across the outside of the sphere to wipe off the algae that's building up on the inside.

I named them by their coloring. Ruby, not surprisingly, has a reddish tint to her little body, Onyx has a big black vein in his back, and Pearl is sort of see-through. There used to be a fourth shrimp. I went away for several days on a work-related trip. Upon my return, I found the floating remains of Opal's skeleton inside of the sphere. Poor Opal. Ahhh, the circle of life. (Too bad, too, as opal is my favorite (semi-precious)gemstone.)Admittedly, it's not quite the same effect as a warm-blooded pet.

But they're pretty funny, you have to admit.


2 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

Julie! I'm so glad you're blogging now! You have so much to add to the online community.

I'll look forward to keeping up with you.

11:16 PM  
Blogger juliebelle said...

Thanks, Troy. Glad to be here.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home