Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I'm a Southerner, born and bred (though you'd never know it from my accent, I'm told). I like to eat 'til I'm tired out from eating, hear good storytelling 'til I can recite the stories in my sleep (Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.), watch people, look at sparkly things, listen to good bluegrass music, dream about owning a dog, tell crazy stories about my family, and organize things.

16 March 2006

Greens

A couple of years ago, I offered to bring greens to Nanny's for the holiday potluck...I don't recall what holiday it was. That's not so important of a detail. So all of the family members bring a dish...usually a starch covered in baked cheese. I thought I'd give all of our arteries a break and contribute something more healthy (it seems like I was on a pretty healthy kick at the time). So I made greens. Just steamed. With some garlic. Which didn't go over well. I remember being heartbroken that no one ate my greens. Not even sympathy spoonfuls.

Horrifying.

So I learned the secret to cooking greens the hard way: Salt Pork.

Never again will my greens be passed by with a sniff and a sneer.

Here's how I do it.

Saute some onions and garlic in a very large pot on medium heat (I use an old pressure cooker that Nanny gave me). Throw on some salt pork (about a good spilling over handful of it, cubed). Let it all brown. Throw on several bunches of greens (I like to mix collards, mustard, turnip, and kale) that have been thoroughly washed and coarsely chopped. After they have wilted down/sauteed a bit, pour quite a bit of chicken broth over the greens (I usually use about three boxes of broth...i really kind of eyeball it). Add crushed red pepper (for a little kick!) and regular salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for a long time. (the more wilted the vegetable, the more Southern it is!)

Tasty!

Serve it with pepper sauce/vinegar (optional).

Also serve with pinto beans and cornbread.

And fried chicken, too, if you have the time.

Can you tell what I'm cooking for dinner tonight? :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

And a pressure cooker, too? You really are the unsung domestic goddess aren't you? You are just so darn urbane I sometimes forget that you won the state 4-H Chicken Dish cook off.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Katie A said...

Sounds like GOOD stuff. Sabzi (greens) are quite popular here, too, but without the pork, it's just not the same. I'm looking forward to good ol' bean, greens, and cornbread this summer, though

10:15 AM  
Blogger sirrom said...

Juleps. Post a blog about the State Broiler BBQ Cookoff. Spilled marinade, etc. Dad

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home